[mythtv] Has anyone tested channel scanning in a us-cable Clear QAM environment?

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Fri Feb 7 22:36:02 UTC 2020

On February 7, 2020 11:28:13 AM EST, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>faginbagin <mythtv at hbuus.com> writes:
>
>>  "Has anyone tested channel scanning in a us-cable Clear QAM
>>  environment?"
>
>Does such an animal still actually exist?  I haven't been able to
>subscribe to a Clear QAM cable plant in a decade (possibly more).
>
>-derek

Yes, it does. My cable provider. WideOpenWest (aka WOW, wowway.com), broadcasts the local OTA channels in the clear and in HD. It also broadcasts basic cable channels in SD in the clear. But premium and HD versions of basic cable are encrypted. I'm in their metro Detroit market and I'm pretty sure it's the same in other WOW markets, but I could be wrong. Here's a discussion from a year ago on the subject:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32258900-Local-channels-without-a-box-Clear-QAM-in-Cleveland-area

I'm OK with SD versions of basic cable, so I never felt the need to replace my tuners with ones that need a cable card. And I've got too many 70' trees surrounding my property to ever hope to get reliable OTA reception.