[mythtv] Ad ticket #13567: Revise dependencies for packaging

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Sun Feb 2 12:47:09 UTC 2020

On 29/01/2020 19:03, Roland Ernst wrote:

> I'd really like to have MythTV v31 for Debian/Ubuntu released
> without dependencies to python2.
>
> Current situation:
> The deb packages produced by 'ppa:mythbuntu/31' have dependencies
> to python2 but do not install the MythTV Python Bindings for
> python2, only for python3. Therefore, users do not have a working
> solution for the MythTV Python Bindings with python2 out of the box.
>
> Since the release notes for MythTV v31 at
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_31
> marked python2 support as deprecated, is it enough to
> provide a user-script that installs the Python Bindings for
> python2 based on the already installed version for python3?
>
> This script could be placed on the wiki and linked from the
> official release notes with a notification, like
> "Debian/Ubuntu users still requiring python2 support need to
> follow instructions on..."
>
> This script will extract the installed Python3 Bindings and
> install it via "setup.py" for python2, either globally, or locally
> for the current user. Even a "python virtual environment" setup
> is possible in this case.
>
> I can provide this script, if agreed.
>
> Regards,
> Roland

Hi Roland,

I've committed the patches from #13567 and last nights master builds
have completed OK. Even Focal, which has been failing since python2
support was removed in Focal a week or two ago, build OK :). Thanks Roland!

As for the script Bill is probably the one to ask about that. My
personal opinion is we should be encouraging users to switch to using
the python3 bindings, the latest  version of most/all? distros are going
to remove support for python2 so they wont have much choice soon. Maybe
add your script to the wiki but make it clear it's only a short term
solution that wont work in the near future?

Paul H.