[mythtv] Google Play Store Dev fees

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 17:52:46 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-23 10:34 a.m., Peter Bennett wrote:

>> On 12/23/20 11:49 AM, Curtis Gedak wrote:
>>
>> To be published on the Play store apps are forced to target Google's
>> chosen minimum API [1] such that support for older devices / Android
>> versions must be dropped.  This minimum API is constantly increased.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://developer.android.com/distribute/best-practices/develop/target-sdk
>>
> I have not had a problem with this, I update the "target api" for
> leanfront when a new one is available. The minimum api version is more
> critical and that stays at 21 or so. The same could be done with
> mythfrontend.

Thanks Peter for the correction.  I meant the minSdkVersion but had
provided a link for the targetSdkVersion.  My bad.

Personally I like to have total control over the SDK versions.  I use a
old Motorla Moto G (2nd Generation 2014) with Android 4.4.4 KitKat (API
19).  If I increased the minSDKVersion to 21 as Google insists, then I
could not use my own app with this phone.  Admittedly this is a pet
peeve of mine as I hate planned obsolescence and the waste it creates.  :-)

Curtis