[mythtv] Google Play Store Dev fees

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Dec 23 16:35:11 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-12-23 at 08:37 -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:

> The original iPhone 3rd party repos were fun to play with and all,
> but it
> just becomes a game of cat and mouse in the long run.

There is no such cat and mouse game for Android though.  So why not
embrace that?

> I was
> thinking of ease of use for others and also the visibility aspect.

Which you would get (although not as much) with F-Droid.  One thing to
consider is that nobody is going to casually come across a MythTV
frontend in the Google Play store and install it and then embark on
installing a whole MythTV BE to use it.

Rather, it's existing MythTV BE users that are going to seek out the
Android FE and in their search, the MythTV wiki can introduce them to
F-Droid to obtain it.

> All in
> all I agree, but most here are not FOSS

FOSS was just an aside.  The main point was that you don't have to use
the Google Play store.  There are alternatives.

Cheers,
b.