[mythtv] Google Play Store Dev fees

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 14:37:06 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 8:17 AM Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-12-23 at 07:45 -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi.
>
> > I would be willing to pay the Google fees for the developer account,
> > etc if
> > you are interested in publishing the MythFrontend and MythLeanFront
> > apps on
> > the Play Store.
>
> Paying fees to give away FOSS apps.  ~sigh~

I agree there, but the ecosystem is the ecosystem too.  The company I work
for is the same way, but eventually, we had to give in to the dark side to
make users happy :(

> > It is not any big deal to sideload them, but as their popularity
> > seems to
> > be increasing (because they kick ass), it would be easier :)
> >
> > I have 10s of devices I load them on at various places, so the
> > investment
> > would be small for me.
>
> You could also look into alternate app stores if you want the
> convenience of being able to install from an app store.

(prior to Android hat on here)

The original iPhone 3rd party repos were fun to play with and all, but it
just becomes a game of cat and mouse in the long run.  Like I said, I
really do not care because I have network adb enabled on them all and it is
actually faster to sideload them all with a single command, but I was
thinking of ease of use for others and also the visibility aspect.  All in
all I agree, but most here are not FOSS purists as they run the nVidia
driver anyway :)