[mythtv] render2019 comments

Tim Pletcher pletchtd at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 23:26:34 UTC 2019

I just gave the 2019-render branch (devel/2019-render
v31-Pre-1095-gc7eabdaf86) a try on one of my frontend machines.  The
frontend is home-built Apollo Lake Celeron J3455 system running Xubuntu
18.04 with Vaapi version 1.10. The frontend is used almost exclusively for
viewing NTSC LiveTV and the output is configured for a 1920x1080 at 59.94
modeline.  The frontend is configured with a VAAPI2 profile with Vaapi
acceleration and opengl-hw High quality deinterlacing.

Everything works great with the exception of one issue:
On 1920x1080i channels where deinterlacing is in use, any overlaid info
flickers in the overlaid section in the top 1/4 or of the screen (see video
here: https://youtu.be/PXospaUX1lo). The same flickering behavior is also
observed if viewing a 1920x1080i at 30fps recording so this doesn't appear
unique to LiveTV.  The overlay flickering is not present in any
circumstance when viewing 1280x720 at 60 content where deinterlacing is not in
use.

To compare, I also tried the render branch on another machine with an
Nvidia card (GT 1030 / driver version 390.116).  Using VDPAU acceleration
and opengl-hw deinterlacing on this frontend, the overlay flickering is not
present with either interlaced or progressive content.

Any hints on why I might be experiencing this with VAAPI acceleration on my
Apollo Lake machine?

Thank you for all of your work on this!
Tim

Tim