[mythtv] render2019 comments

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 21:14:46 UTC 2019

Hi Mark,

It is not a problem if the Frontend ID is enabled, it is read-only
anyway. Navigating to this field means that there can be a help text
presented which is also nice. See for example the field "Delivery
system" (mythtv-setup page Input Connections, select one input and
then the page with this field shows) which also only presents a value
but is enabled and so it can be selected.

There are other places where the enabled is used to prevent changing
the value. It would be good to have a ReadOnly setting for this and it
would be even better to change the presentation to remove the
decorations that show the field can be modified.
For example, the down-arrow button at the left of the field which
indicates a popup list should not be drawn if the field is ReadOnly.
So to summarize I think that Enable/Disable which does greying out and
disables navigation, and a ReadOnly that prevents editing and that
removes the arrows would be great. However, I have no idea how much
work this would be and how many people would like this also.

About the greying-out itself, it does only grey out the label value
(at the left) but not the field value (at the right). I would expect
both the field and the value to be greyed-out. It is not really
visible with a checkbox but with the "Frontend ID" field it does look
really odd.

Sorry for hijacking this thread...

Groetjes,
Klaas.