[mythtv] Automatic frame-rate switching on Fire TV

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 15:33:44 UTC 2019

On 16/11/2019 14:44, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> One thing I've always loved about MythTV on my nvidia ION based frontend
> and hated about using Netflix and Amazon Prime on my Fire TV is
> automatic frame rate matching (well that on my frontend, and the lack of
> it on Fire TV). However, I've recently read this:
> http://www.aftvnews.com/explanation-of-the-new-frame-rate-matching-feature-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/
> and realised that I may be seeing the problem partly because my Fire TV
> box is very old. Can anyone tell me if the Mythfrontend app supports
> this when running on modern Fire TV sticks?
>
> (I've lied a little: actually my nvidia ION based frontend has recently
> lost this feature. I'd also love to know how to correct that.)
>
> Cheers,
>      Paul.

My FireTVstick 4k says it has the framerate adjustment enabled, but
using the 31Pre539 build I don't see the 'Separate video modes for GUI
and TV playback' option that is offered in the 31Pre1232 2019-render
branch.  It just says 'Use GUI size for TV playback'

I haven't looked at the log with this question in mind.  Playing a
BBCFour HD recording with 6-channel sound and ffmpeg decoding, the
displayed A/V Sync value flickers around, usually in the +/- 20 ms
range.  The 4 CPUs are often at around 90%, and stuttering can occur.

FWIW, the leanfront build won't play that recording at all, but I looked
at BBCOne HD's 'Earth from space' recordings last night and playback was
excellent.  Some h264 content plays, some not...

John