[mythtv] Mythfrontend locks up on android

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri May 17 21:24:59 UTC 2019

On 5/15/19 7:37 PM, Mark Spieth wrote:

> On 16/05/2019 8:50 am, John P Poet wrote:
>> On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 4:45 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com
>> <mailto:pb.mythtv at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     My android frontend on fire 4K occasionally (once or twice a week),
>>     locks up and needs to be restarted. This does not happen during
>>     playback, but often after ending playback when the dialog comes up
>>     asking whether to delete or save the recording. It also happens
>>     randomly
>>     at other times in the GUI.
>>
>>     Has anybody else seen this?
>>

>> Yes, on the Shield, but only with the apk I got from you.  I have not
>> had time to try and build a new apk myself and I was going to do that
>> before reporting the issue.
>>
> Mine has been pretty stable on the shield since enabling background
> mode. This is what requires force stop. It also allows fast recovery
> after sleep. I havent need force stop for quite a while now as
> recovery is fast and this was the only reason I needed force stop in
> the past.
>
> I do see an issue where playback pauses after it has been running
> (though not playback continuously) for a long while (multiple days). A
> shutdown of myth and then restart fixes this. I suspect this is due to
> a leak somewhere. On linux mythfrontend in top uses 10.9 G of virtual
> mem but I dont know where this is required.
>
> I did try on my H96pro (S912 based) a few weeks back and was less than
> successful. I suspect ram bus performance is an issue contributing to
> this. I can make this apk available if required but should be
> equivalent to peter's (apr 25).
>
>>     It used to be that I could just press "Home" on the remote and
>>     mythtv
>>     would be killed. With the latest code I have to go into setup
>>     applications and "force stop" before it can restart.
>>

>> Yes, for this specific problem, I am seeing the same.
>>
>>     Possibly the hangs could be due to a bad wifi connection.
>>     Sometimes the
>>     fire stick loses the wifi connection. Perhaps I should revert to an
>>     ethernet connection, however the fire stick has a habit of
>>     forgetting it
>>     has ethernet and needing a reboot to see the ethernet attachment
>>     again.
>>

>> My shield is hard-wired.  I am not using Wifi with it.
>
> I am also using wired network.
>
> I havent tried the render branch yet.
>
> Mark
>

>>     I am not sure how to debug this as it is not easily reproduced.
>>     When it
>>     does happen I am not in a position to start a debugging session.
>>

>> I had it happen several times in a row, and then it has been well
>> behaved since then.  However, I have not had time to use it much so I
>> cannot report on a good sampling.
>> John

I have changed my wifi setup and it has not locked for two days, so I
hope that solves it. I have found before that mysql has problems when
the connection dies. It seems to be unable to tell the difference
between a query that is taking a long time and a connection that is
broken, so on a broken connection it waits for a few minutes until it
gets a timeout. Perhaps something like this could be happening.

Peter