[mythtv] Mythfrontend locks up on android

Mark Spieth mark at digivation.com.au
Wed May 15 23:37:19 UTC 2019

On 16/05/2019 8:50 am, John P Poet wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 4:45 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com
> <mailto:pb.mythtv at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     My android frontend on fire 4K occasionally (once or twice a week),
>     locks up and needs to be restarted. This does not happen during
>     playback, but often after ending playback when the dialog comes up
>     asking whether to delete or save the recording. It also happens
>     randomly
>     at other times in the GUI.
>
>     Has anybody else seen this?
>

> Yes, on the Shield, but only with the apk I got from you.  I have not
> had time to try and build a new apk myself and I was going to do that
> before reporting the issue.

Mine has been pretty stable on the shield since enabling background
mode. This is what requires force stop. It also allows fast recovery
after sleep. I havent need force stop for quite a while now as recovery
is fast and this was the only reason I needed force stop in the past.

I do see an issue where playback pauses after it has been running
(though not playback continuously) for a long while (multiple days). A
shutdown of myth and then restart fixes this. I suspect this is due to a
leak somewhere. On linux mythfrontend in top uses 10.9 G of virtual mem
but I dont know where this is required.

I did try on my H96pro (S912 based) a few weeks back and was less than
successful. I suspect ram bus performance is an issue contributing to
this. I can make this apk available if required but should be equivalent
to peter's (apr 25).

>     It used to be that I could just press "Home" on the remote and mythtv
>     would be killed. With the latest code I have to go into setup
>     applications and "force stop" before it can restart.
>

> Yes, for this specific problem, I am seeing the same.
>
>     Possibly the hangs could be due to a bad wifi connection.
>     Sometimes the
>     fire stick loses the wifi connection. Perhaps I should revert to an
>     ethernet connection, however the fire stick has a habit of
>     forgetting it
>     has ethernet and needing a reboot to see the ethernet attachment
>     again.
>

> My shield is hard-wired.  I am not using Wifi with it.

I am also using wired network.

I havent tried the render branch yet.

Mark