[mythtv] Question about new build requirements for NVDEC

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Thu Jan 17 09:10:42 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-01-16 at 14:41 -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 1/16/19 2:21 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 4:10 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I could not find any Ubuntu package that contains these files that
> could
> >> be added as a dependency.
> > For a one-time add, possibly the nv-codec-headers deb file from
> > deb-multimedia?  Since they are only headers (and config), there
> > is some hope they might install and be usable in stretch and
> > supported ubuntu variants even though deb-multimedia only has
> > them formally available for sid/buster.
> >

> Thanks for the info. I did not realize it was there.

In Debian there is:
   $ apt-file search dynlink_cuda.h
   nvidia-cuda-dev: /usr/include/dynlink_cuda.h
   $ apt policy nvidia-cuda-dev
   nvidia-cuda-dev:
     Installed: (none)
     Candidate: 9.1.85-8
     Version table:
        9.2.148-5 500
           500 http://mirror/debian sid/non-free amd64 Packages
        9.1.85-8 990
           990 http://mirror/debian buster/non-free amd64 Packages
        8.0.44-4 500
           500 http://mirror/debian stretch/non-free amd64 Packages

   However:
   $ apt show nvidia-cuda-dev | grep Section
   Section: non-free/libdevel

   So it is in non-free[0] (so not strictly part of Debian). It's possible
   that in Ubuntu it is also in whatever their non-free equivalent is?

   I think mythtv already requires other deps from non-free, so possibly
   using those is not a big deal.

   Ian.

[0] Reasons in
https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/non-free/n/nvidia-cuda-toolkit/nvidia-cuda-toolkit_9.2.148-5_copyright