[mythtv] Video playback framerate

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Jan 9 13:11:47 UTC 2019

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 11:04:05 +0000, you wrote:

>>> Why transcode?  That only reduces the quality of a recording.  You can
>>> just move the file directly to a videos directory (and rename it
>>> appropriately) if you really think it is better off as a video file.
>>
>> Yep - that's what I do - there's nothing more than a few months old in
>> my mythtv system/database - any recordings worth saving are moved
>> elsewhere (which has the additional advantage of avoiding any accidental
>> deletions as well as keeping the myth recordings menu easy to navigate).
>> George
>

>This is moving towards user-list territory, but the thread started as a
>plea for retaining seektables.  I rely on the seektable for cutting both
>video and audio recordings, but eventually the output files get moved
>out of the Recordings groups and their seektables vanish.  Videos can
>have seektables, but TTBOMK these have to be rebuilt.  Does Stephen, in
>particular, keep all his library as Recordings?  Or rebuild by default?
>Perhaps he has said before, but I'm curious.
>
>I see that I currently have 2216 recordings occupying 2.2 TB.
>Optimizing and defragging the seektables both take around 140 seconds.

I do not move recordings to videos.  Doing that does away with the
advantages of having recordedseek entries for the recording.  I have
never tried using seek table for videos.  Performance in seeking in my
ripped or downloaded video files is normally fine anyway.  But I do
not have many very high bit rate videos - my HD recordings are usually
the highest bit rate files I play.

Recordings are normally MPEG Transport Stream files, and I suspect
that they are not organised for best seeking due to the requirements
of being robust in the face of loss of data when there are problems
receiving the signal.  Video files (ripped, downloaded, ...) are
normally in a container format that does good seeking (MPEG Program
Stream, AVI, .mp4, MKV, MOV, ...).  So I think that if you move
recordings to videos, you should probably do a lossless transcode that
just changes the container format from transport stream to program
stream.  But I have never delved far enough into the details of the
container formats to know that for sure.