[mythtv] Deinterlacer settings

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Feb 19 11:51:47 UTC 2019

On 19/02/2019 11:16, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 at 21:23, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>> It seems to me a disadvantage of what you propose is I'd have to try 20 different settings (or at least 17) to explore all possibilities. Also some changes in settings would not change which >deinterlacer was selected, whereas other setting changes would select subtly different deinterlacers. That's unhelpful when swapping back and forwards between settings trying to decide > which you prefer.
>
> Yes - some settings changes would have no impact but the code
> selecting a subtly different deinterlacer should only be in the case
> of a fallback.

That's not quite what I was getting at. Say, when using vdpau, I might
set for the highest quality which would presumably result in Advanced x2
being selected. Then I notice that on occasion I'm seeing the odd
dropped frame. I know that there is also Temporal x2 which I might
prefer, but how would I be able work out what setting change to make
under your proposed scheme to get Temporal x2. I could make a few
experimental changes, but if I see very little difference, I wont know
whether it is because the results of Advanced and Temporal are only
subtly different or because the setting change I've made didn't actually
change which deinterlacer was selected.