[mythtv] AVSync2 Improvements

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 15:15:50 UTC 2019

On 2/13/19 12:56 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 2/13/19 11:26 AM, David Engel wrote:
>> Recordings worked fine with the new patch.  Live TV was also better in
>> that it did sync up.  I think we can and should do better, though.
>> Several seconds before the big stuttering settles down 60+ seconds for
>> the little, jerkiness to go away is too long, IMO.  I know most of us
>> either don't use live TV or don't mind pausing briefly when we do.
>> However, some of us have family members who do use live TV and, at
>> least in my case, it has been a point of contention.
>>
>> My hope is that we can find a good, deterministic way to handle the
>> live TV case better.  Failing that, we might need to capitulate add a
>> delay.  I know someone objected to that recently.  Perhaps we could
>> make such a delay configurable with the default being 0.
>>
> I think that now it is working the same as in v29.
>
> It pauses one frame at a time until playback is 3 seconds behind the
> recording. The problem is that after that it gets slightly ahead of
> the 3 seconds again from time to time and does more pauses. I will
> need to change it so that it pauses a bit longer than the amount it
> uses for subsequent checks. Alternatively, only pause once and never
> check again. The reason I have subsequent checks is in case you hit
> jump forward and get into the stuttering situation again. I am not
> sure if this is possible.
>
> Another thing I want to do is reduce the excessive number of messages
> it puts in the verbose playback during Live TV startup.
>
> I will get another patch for it.
>
> Peter
I was not able to easily change the logic, so I have added a setting for
a delay at the start of Live TV that defaults to zero and is
configurable. Setting 4000 ms seems to eliminate the stuttering. Setting
zero will still recover over approximately a minute.
Updated patch:

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/attachment/ticket/13383/20190213_1544_catchup_plus.patch

Peter