[mythtv] Channel Management Ideas and Plans

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 16:42:53 UTC 2019

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 4:13 PM Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com> wrote:

> - Access the icon via lookup on callsign and/or name.

Unfortunately, again, in the US, the callsign and/or name
is not always sufficient for lookup (there are different logos
for the SD and HD formats in some cases).  And the logo
can (and has) change over the years (which may, or may
not be, an issue, but when a local changed from an NBC
affiliate to independent, the NBC part disappeared in the
logo, for example).  Oh, and furthermore, the same callsign
and/or name can be used on two different videosources in
different ways, so you also have to include the videosource
id (which cannot be allowed to be reused to avoid future
conflicts if you use it as a discriminator).

And I have little idea how other parts of the world
handle these cases.

All of these may end up being things David decides
are enemies of the good enough, but they all do exist
in real world MythTV databases (and I have been
running these codes long enough to have run into
all of them).