[mythtv] Channel Management Ideas and Plans

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 00:39:44 UTC 2019

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 8:24 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> I have about 90% of an option 3 coded and tested.  It creates new,
> recordedchannel (for recordedprogram) and oldchannel (for oldrecorded)
> tables.  The last remaining part has to do with icon handling.
> Becuase the icon path is not part of the Program/RecordingInfo object,
> it is fetched on demand using ChannelUtil::GetIcon() which blindly
> uses the channel table.  It needs to be modified to conditionally use
> channel, recordedchannel or oldchannel as appropriate.

One of the problems, which I believe you are aware of,
with icons is that (at least with US cable and satellite)
that the proper icon (and the callsign and name) for
channel 123 may be for the USA network on 2017/04,
and be the TNT network in 2019/03 (made up networks
and dates, of course).  So if the icon is important, you
have to copy the info at the time of record.  Even if
the videosource still exists, and is still being used,
the actual "station" on the "channel" may now be
different.

Without doing much evaluation, I think the only way
that a "deleted" flag makes a bit of sense is that if
every update to a channel makes the current channel
"deleted", replaced whatever is the new values may
be and (of course) a new chanid, which may have
implications of existing guide data.