[mythtv] Android Release builds

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 18:03:45 UTC 2018

On 09/20/2018 12:04 PM, David Engel wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:57:28AM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> On 09/20/2018 10:41 AM, David Engel wrote:
>>> Yes.  Given this new information, I don't think we should build with
>>> profile on Android.  I need to test with and without it on a couple of
>>> Linux platforms.  I don't expect it to make much difference on my
>>> relatively beefy desktop with vdpau but it might on my lowly Chromebox
>>> with and without vaapi2.
>> I am not able to reproduce the delay. I tried with 2x speed and there is a
>> tiny delay there. At 1.5x or normal speed I see no delay. I built with
>> release which now uses perform. I tested with a 1080i recording. I don't
>> normally use speedup.
> All of my testing last night was with 720p at speeds of 1x, 1.5x and
> 1.8x and with mediacodec decoding.  I used software decoding the night
> before.
>
>> Is there a setting that can give debug symbols as well as your speed
>> requirements?
> You can always enable debug symbols.  It's just that with higher
> optimization levels, they tend to be less useful.  The reason is that
> with optimized code, it's not always easy to associate each
> instruction with a specific line of code.  Consequently, when you try
> to step through optimized code in a debugger, it can look like
> exceution goes backwards or skips lines.
>
> David
I am less sensitive to the time it takes to skip. Whether it is 0.5
seconds or 1 seconds does not worry me much, and I do not use speedup. I
am used to the Raspberry Pi. I think we are way ahead of some other
media players even on our worst day. (I only open a ticket when it takes
more than 5 seconds to skip. https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11459).

If you find a set of options that works better for release builds, it is
fine with me as long as debug symbols are still turned on. I can live
with the optimization strangeness. I plan to do all builds as release
builds. That way once I have it working I can keep with it.

Peter