[mythtv] Android Release builds

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Sep 19 15:05:31 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 11:41:12AM -0500, David Engel wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 09:12:12AM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> > On 09/16/2018 09:47 PM, David Engel wrote:
> > > I only object to not doing it!  Do we even need to have a release
> > > target?  Didn't somebody say earlier that the libraries get stripped
> > > during packaging anyway?
> > >
> > Yes - the libraries get stripped during packaging.
> >
> > For my purposes, all builds, even debugging ones, can be "release" target
> > from now on. I see no reason not to build that way. I do that for Linux and
> > Raspberry pi. Are you suggesting it should be the default? The build script
> > is set up so that if you use "release" you need a keystore.
>
> I thought the main difference between compile types was profile
> enabled optimization and debugging while release only enabled
> optimization and debug only enabled debugging.  Any other differences
> are either recent additions or things of which I'm unaware.

Not coincidentally, I'd started building my own Android package with
--compile-type=profile on Sunday.  I later noticed that skips were
considerably longer on my Shield.  The video took around .5 to .8
seconds to resume instead of about .1 seconds like before.  In
addition, the audio started right away while the video was still
frozen.  It made for a jarring and unpleasant effect.

I hand't built an Android package in over a week so my first suspicion
was the new, vaapi2 changes were to blame.  After, several test
builds, I finally confirmed last that it wasn't the vaapi2 changes.
Rather, it was using compile type profile.  For as yet unknown
reasons, compile type profile produces worse code than compile type
debug on Android, at least when measuered by skip performance.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net