[mythtv] pts values

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 15:32:18 UTC 2018

On 09/07/2018 07:13 PM, David Engel wrote:
>> This is bizarre! It looks like perhaps the clip was rate converted fron 60hz to 50hz, and is then again rate converted back to 60hz. The only way to deal with this assuming we cant believe the fps is to use the pts directly assuming that we can trust those too, which in the past we couldnt.
> Agreed (that it's bizarre).  Peter, where do you get that sample, US
> ABC or Oz ABC?  If US, does your local affiliate or cable company do
> any conversions?  My local ABC affiliate, for example, broadcasts in
> 1080i so everything from the network is converted locally from 720p.
> The fps changes are strange.  I could see the cable company doing
> strange things with locally inserted commericals (TWC used to do that
> here) but that shouldn't be any locally inserted commercials with ABC.
> Maybe your local affiliate or cable company are doing that to squeeze
> out every last bit of bandwidth that they can get.
ABC from Boston Massachusetts. I live in Massachusetts and get Comcast
cable. Where I am located there is no broadcast signal, so I cannot
compare with that. I don't know what Comcast does with the signal. This
is from a year or two ago. I notice now my Comcast ABC station is
running 720p. I don't know if Comcast or ABC made the change.