[mythtv] Moving to Python 3 problems

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 16:15:50 UTC 2018

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 3:38 PM David Hampton <mythtv at love2code.net> wrote:
> ... which leads
> me to think that we need an option for an embedded mysql database for
> testing, which makes me go think about other things.

I think the embedded database was on Micheal's list.
Maybe prod him to get-r-done?  Yeah, not likely to
happen any time soonish.

Presuming that all the existing python bindings are
still useful (and reviewing them should be step 0),
the bindings and/or scripts that use bindings should
possibly be migrated and/or refactored to use the
services APIs where practical to avoid dealing
with direct database access that at least some of
the existing functionality uses (and where the services
API is not sufficient, change the services API?).

Of course that just means you now also need a
functional BE for unit testing of the services API.

I, too, have thought a bit about it and turned what
some might look at as simple into a bigger thing,
and decided that punting to someone with more
immediate interest was the much easier path (I
don't use the bindings, so if they disappeared
tomorrow I would not notice).