[mythtv] Moving to Python 3 problems

David Hampton mythtv at love2code.net
Fri Nov 30 15:37:40 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-11-30 at 14:45 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> The actual plan, as I understand it, is a bit more
> complicated.  First, python2 will be marked as
> deprecated, but will still be available (for those
> that need it), but the default installs will not
> include python2 as python2 will no longer be
> supported.  Second, the python alias will point
> to python3, rather than python2 (so shebangs
> that specify python will need to change if they
> really require python2).
>
> For MythTV, moving to python3 will require going
> through all the bindings and fixing not only the
> code, but some of the build/install processes
> (Qt has made some changes that indirectly
> effect these things too).  There are some
> automated tools that assist the process.
>
> Going through the python bindings is on my
> (long) list to look at, but is behind a number of
> other things that are also on the list.  If you are
> are a developer that can do the work, I will delete
> it from my (eventual) todo list.  Thanks!

Its on my long list too.  My concern is that there are no tests for the
basic functionality of the bindings, so how would I know if I'd broken
them in the conversion. Thinking about that makes me think I should
write test cases first, but to do that there would need to be a
standardized database to test against that's in the source, which leads
me to think that we need an option for an embedded mysql database for
testing, which makes me go think about other things.

I'd be happy to take a swing at it after I finish my current project,
but I'll definitely need some help on the testing side.  It would be
nice to get this into the next release...

David