[mythtv] Moving to Python 3 problems

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 14:45:06 UTC 2018

The actual plan, as I understand it, is a bit more
complicated.  First, python2 will be marked as
deprecated, but will still be available (for those
that need it), but the default installs will not
include python2 as python2 will no longer be
supported.  Second, the python alias will point
to python3, rather than python2 (so shebangs
that specify python will need to change if they
really require python2).

For MythTV, moving to python3 will require going
through all the bindings and fixing not only the
code, but some of the build/install processes
(Qt has made some changes that indirectly
effect these things too).  There are some
automated tools that assist the process.

Going through the python bindings is on my
(long) list to look at, but is behind a number of
other things that are also on the list.  If you are
are a developer that can do the work, I will delete
it from my (eventual) todo list.  Thanks!