[mythtv] #13351: Add OpenGL ES configurability/autodetection

Piotr Oniszczuk piotr.oniszczuk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 12:31:24 UTC 2018

> Wiadomość napisana przez Stuart Auchterlonie <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> w dniu 27.11.2018, o godz. 13:01:
>

>> 2.Working myth when OS provides _only_ OpenGL ES
>>

> I thought we already had this on embedded platforms
> such as the rpi?

Well - correct me if I’m wrong:

For rpi we need to distinguish 2 cases:
1) GL provider is by brcm BLOBS
2) GL provides is by FOSS software (mesa 18+)

Ad1)
In this case afaik there is no GL Desktop at all, as there is no possibility to build Qt with OpenGL Desktop.
IIRC this is because low-level api provided by brcm blobs are not compatible with Qt GL integration sub-layer.
By this on brcm blobs we have only 2 options for painting in myth:
-EGLFS (if Qt build correctly for this)
-Qt

Ad2)
Mesa 18+ is able to provide GL (via v3d vc4) at Desktop GL and GLES levels.
This works perfectly and I have rpi fully working with OpenGL Desktop.
GLES however is not possible due: https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/9c940817da8aa001219bbded26b26f12a7b364b7/mythtv/configure#L6566
With #13351 have fully working GLES on rpi (including 2G accell via glamour and GL playback).
SD plays nicely - but for HD rpi’s cpu is too weak...
To get HD playback we need video decode hw accell - and afaik only solution is v4l2 m2m.
(OpenMAX IL is not option due low-level api provided by brcm blobs incompatibility).

br