[mythtv] Kernel 2X HW-GL Deinterlacing

David Engel david at istwok.net
Mon Nov 26 20:36:59 UTC 2018

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 01:36:14PM -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 11/25/18 9:03 PM, David Engel wrote:
> > What do you see with Linux/full OpenGL?
>
> Linux laptop with OpenGL slim profile
>
> Linear blend 2x - perfect
> Linear blend 2x with interlace reversed - uneven and shaking
> Kernel 2x - uneven and shaking
> Kernel 2x with interlace reversed - perfect

Thanks.  That pretty much confirms the problem is with the kernel GL
deinterlacer.  I'll see what I can do.  No promises beyond that.

> The uneven shaking performance is bad but not as bad as on the shield. Like
> with the shield, Kernel seems to get it wrong.
>
> I have long found that kernel does not work well, but I have not tried
> interlace reversed with it before.

Back in the days before vdpau, kernel deinterlacing in software was
the preferred option on systems that couldn't do yadif and greedh.  By
the time kernel GL came along, vdpau was king.  I think everyone
noticed that kernel GL sucked but nobody cared enough to look into it.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net