[mythtv] Decision on FFmpeg repository

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat May 19 18:53:07 UTC 2018

On 05/19/2018 10:25 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> Just so you understand, the github download (at a commit)
> does*NOT*  generate a git repo (this is not a git clone).
I know that.
> You cannot issue git commands from inside the directory
> that is (eventually) created from that download when
> running configure.
Configure and make already issue git commands. That is how they
currently generate the version number, which is from a "git describe
--dirty" command. They have appropriate checks in place to cater for
users that are building from a downloaded tar file. In that case the
version number is created a different way.

In the same way, I would put in place appropriate checks to ensure that
git is not called when there is no git repository.

I will perform a test to see what is downloaded from git when you
request a zip or tar file. If that download does not contain the full
source of the correct commit of the submodule, then this approach is a
non-starter.
> If the project wishes to no longer support the ability to
> download from github in that way to build, and/or to
> presume build hosts will have internet connectivity
> (to perform other git operations), that is up to the
> project, but it will be a change in the existing practice.
If is does not work as it always has, then I will be doing it another way.

Peter