[mythtv] Decision on FFmpeg repository

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed May 16 18:48:27 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:45:55PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> I would like to get a decision on what to do about a couple of FFmpeg
> questions:
>
> 1. Use FFmpeg master or release branch? My recommendation is to use master.
> - the FFmpeg website recommends using master for those who are compiling
> FFmpeg themselves. It states that the release branches are for those who
> rely on downloaded prebuilt packages
> (https://ffmpeg.org/download.html#repositories).
> - Only master has the recent mediacodec changes which I need for android.
> - If we sync to master, we can use a better approach for the repository
> (question 2 below).

As I've already mentioned, I'm not thrilled with using the master
branch.  However, since the MediaCodec support still appears to need
it and that's the most important reason for upgrading ffmpeg right
now, I'll just have to accept it.

> 2. What method should we use for storing and syncing with FFmpeg source?
> Options are:
> a. Reapply patches to the source from FFmpeg, resolve conflicts, and copy
> the source over what we have in MythTV (current process). This can be very
> time-consuming.
>
> b. Use a subtree in the MythTV repository.
> - This will not work if we use a release branch (question 1).
> - When resyncing, we can do a git merge of the subtree from FFmpeg.
> - We can cherry-pick changes needed without resyncing everything.
> - We can sync to any required commit, we don't need to go all the way to the
> latest commit.
> - git log shows FFmpeg commits intermingled with MythTV. You can use "git
> log -- mythtv" which eliminates those.
> - This imports some 90,000 extra commits from FFmpeg.
>
> You can see an example of the subtree in use at
> https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythtv/tree/ffmpeg-subtree or clone that
> repo and look at the ffmpeg-subtree branch.
>
> c. Keep our own customized FFmpeg repository with patches applied.
> - This will not work if we use a release branch (question 1).
> - When resyncing, do a git pull or merge on the private FFmpeg repository.
> Then copy the entire source over the MythTV FFmpeg source.
> - We can cherry-pick changes needed without resyncing everything.
> - We can sync to any required commit, we don't need to go all the way to the
> latest commit.
> - git log in MythTV does not show all the FFmpeg commits.
> - git log in the private FFmpeg repository shows records of our patches
> along with all the FFmpeg commits.
> - We can perform periodic pulls into the private FFmpeg repository without
> affecting MythTV. This will make the eventual copying into MythTV quicker
> and easier.
> - Any FFmpeg patches that we apply between copying into MythTV must be
> applied in both MythTV and FFmpeg repositories, or apply them in the private
> FFmpeg repository and then wait for the next copy into MythTV.

Of these, I prefer 2b.  I'd reluctantly accept 2c if there are too
many objections to 2b.  I think 2a would quickly become untenable if
we have to track the ffmpeg master branch frequently.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net