[mythtv] Decision on FFmpeg repository

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed May 16 17:20:41 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-05-16 at 12:45 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> I would like to get a decision on what to do about a couple of
> FFmpeg
> questions:

I don't really have any skin in this game so take my opinions with a
grain of salt, however...

> - the FFmpeg website recommends using master for those who are
> compiling
> FFmpeg themselves. It states that the release branches are for those
> who
> rely on downloaded prebuilt packages
> (https://ffmpeg.org/download.html#repositories).

This doesn't really square for me.  I don't see why those compiling
themselves are any different than those who get packages from packagers
(read on).  Ultimately everything else being equal everyone wants
stability.  But things are not usually equal so some trade off
stability for bleeding edge because they feel the value is there, for
them.  But others value the stability more and so give up on bleeding
edge features.

The master branch (assuming typical branching processes) of (most) any
project is always going to be potentially less stable than release
branches that don't constantly have things being committed to them and
have been created at a time of recognized stability.  And as time goes
on gain a record of stability.

So is the above document suggesting that master is good (enough) for
self-compiling people because they could (and would be willing to) be
agile enough to jump forward if instability is determined?  If that is
the reasoning, does that really fit here?  Isn't the MythTV project
(particularly on a "fixes" branch) more like the (not-so-agile)
packagers packaging for consumers?

Cheers,
b.