[mythtv] rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Mon May 14 17:31:33 UTC 2018

On 14/05/18 17:16, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 3:15 PM, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gary.  Sorry, I'm just blundering around with this and don't want to be a
>> pain after provoking your update.  I've applied Sergio's mockchain patch
>
> I have not looked at the most recent proposals
> for the mockchain patch, but for EL7, that is
> likely a path not worth going down, since
> the issue is with the new capability to include
> other mock configs, and EL does not use that
> (only Fedora).  Sorry to lead you down that path.
> Just ignore that (for your use case).
>
> And while checking things out, I noticed that
> I used features in my scripts only available in
> git released around 5 years ago (and EL lags
> significantly (5 yrs? come on!)) so I made some
> minor changes in my scripts to support the
> old/obsolete git that EL7 provides.  In addition,
> I presumed dnf was available (but EL7 is limited
> to yum), so I added in some code to test for that
> condition.  So pull the latest packaging repo code
> to get my adjustments (I do not really consider them
> as fixes, but tolerance of lack of RH progress).
>
> So this is a (proposed, not fully tested)
> set of instructions for building on EL7
> for EL7:
>

> --- Get some needed toolchains (this is the only
> --- command you should need root for)
>
> yum install git rpmdevtools mock yum-utils
>
> --- you will need to add yourself to the
> --- the mock group if you are not already
> --- in it (and then refresh your group membership)
>

> --- And one time if you have not already done so:
>
> git clone https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging.git
>
> --- Read the README in the packaging/MythTV/rpm directory
>
> --- Repeat the following sequence as necessary for every rebuild
> --- Typically the git pull will pull in nothing, but just in case
> --- something does get updated....  You can specify specific
> --- commits if you want to, but I typically just rebuild the
> --- latest from a branch (fixes/29 in this case), or master
> --- (depending on what I am targeting.  The build (as you
> --- know) takes a long time depending on the usual variables.
>
> cd packaging/MythTV/rpm
>
> git pull
>
> ./BUILD_MYTHTV_RPMS -r build_cfgs/centos-7-x86_64-rpmfusion_free.cfg fixes/29
>
> --- Note that the EPEL/RPMFusion repos are sometimes
> --- "interestingly" challenged as far as reachability.  I
> --- have seen the mirrors fail and timeout.  Try the
> --- build again if you get a build failure due to repo access.
> --- I have sometimes had to retry the build half a dozen
> --- times to get the mirrors to be accessible.

Gary:  Thanks again for this.  I may not be able to give it much time in
the immediate future, but I hope it may help someone else too.

I've done all my builds so far in Fedora, so maybe the age of git for
el7 won't  matter.

My el7 box seemed to be stuck on 7.4, as some other SL7 users have
found.  Now updating is finding known errors for libexif2 and qt5. It
looks as if epel-testing will do the job re qt5.  The version conflict
for libexiv2/exiv2-libs seems strange because the RPMF specfile mentions
only exiv2-devel anyway, and I doubt that I actually use it.  I have the
mythtv metafile on the blamelist.

John