[mythtv] Key mapping for BOOKMARK

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Wed Mar 14 22:25:51 UTC 2018

On 3/13/2018 2:44 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> During playback, the select key assigned in global key mapping is used
> for setting and removing bookmarks.
>
> To allow users to set a different key for bookmarks without having to
> change global select, I have create a new key mapping for bookmarks. I
> can default this to the same keys as SELECT (i.e. space, enter, return)
> and it should not affect anybody unless they have changed their global
> select settings. (see
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/attachment/ticket/13234/20180313_1414_bookmark.patch).
> It is not committed yet.
>
> Personally I never set a bookmark and the fact that it is on the most
> prominent keyboard keys seems inappropriate.
>
> On the Nvidia Shield there is only one button (enter), and it should do
> something useful that leads to other interactions, rather than set a
> bookmark. Other remotes also have a prominent enter button, which should
> be used for something more important.
>
> I propose defaulting the new BOOKMARK setting to Ctrl+K (since K is
> "jump to bookmark"). I would default Space to pause(which is how most
> players work), and Enter to a new navigation OSD that I plan to develop.
>
> Existing frontends would find that space enter and return would no
> longer invoke bookmark. They could still assign those keys to bookmark
> in the key mappings.
>
> I expect that bookmarks are not widely used and that most people would
> not be upset at this.
>
> If necessary the code could apply different defaults for Android so as
> to have less impact on existing users, but I think it is better if
> possible to keep the different platforms working the same.
>
> Please let me have feedback on this.
>
> Peter

1) I DO use the enter key to set bookmarks all the time.

2) If you want to poll the user community w.r.t how popular the current
behavior is, it is not sufficient to poll the developer community, i.e.
this list mythtv-dev. You really need to poll the user community, e.g.
the mythtv-users list and the forum.

3) I think it is bad policy to change the default behavior for
functionality that has worked this way since I'm guessing forever. I
know it has worked this way since at least 2009 when I first became a
user. I quite understand why the current behavior is a problem for you,
but please don't break it for all of us who are happy with the way it
works now. By all means create a new key mapping for bookmarks, but make
sure the default is to map it to the same keys used by the select key
mapping. I understand it could generate some warnings in the log file,
but better that than breaking what many users consider a feature.