[mythtv] Key mapping for BOOKMARK

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 19:58:00 UTC 2018

On 13/03/18 18:44, Peter Bennett wrote:
> During playback, the select key assigned in global key mapping is used
> for setting and removing bookmarks.
>
> To allow users to set a different key for bookmarks without having to
> change global select, I have create a new key mapping for bookmarks. I
> can default this to the same keys as SELECT (i.e. space, enter,
> return) and it should not affect anybody unless they have changed
> their global select settings. (see
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/attachment/ticket/13234/20180313_1414_bookmark.patch).
> It is not committed yet.
>
> Personally I never set a bookmark and the fact that it is on the most
> prominent keyboard keys seems inappropriate.
>
> On the Nvidia Shield there is only one button (enter), and it should
> do something useful that leads to other interactions, rather than set
> a bookmark. Other remotes also have a prominent enter button, which
> should be used for something more important.
>
> I propose defaulting the new BOOKMARK setting to Ctrl+K (since K is
> "jump to bookmark"). I would default Space to pause(which is how most
> players work), and Enter to a new navigation OSD that I plan to develop.
>
> Existing frontends would find that space enter and return would no
> longer invoke bookmark. They could still assign those keys to bookmark
> in the key mappings.
>
> I expect that bookmarks are not widely used and that most people would
> not be upset at this.
>
> If necessary the code could apply different defaults for Android so as
> to have less impact on existing users, but I think it is better if
> possible to keep the different platforms working the same.
>
> Please let me have feedback on this.
>
> Peter

My frontends have "Action on playback exit:" set to "Always prompt
(including Live TV)", default action is to set BOOKMARK, so changing the
key assignment for BOOKMARK is no issue for me.

For pause (on a standard qwerty keyboard) are you keeping "p" for
play/pause or replacing it with Space?  Many remote controls (IR and
wireless)  map the play/pause button to "p"

Mike