[mythtv] Key mapping for BOOKMARK

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 18:44:46 UTC 2018

During playback, the select key assigned in global key mapping is used
for setting and removing bookmarks.

To allow users to set a different key for bookmarks without having to
change global select, I have create a new key mapping for bookmarks. I
can default this to the same keys as SELECT (i.e. space, enter, return)
and it should not affect anybody unless they have changed their global
select settings. (see
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/attachment/ticket/13234/20180313_1414_bookmark.patch).
It is not committed yet.

Personally I never set a bookmark and the fact that it is on the most
prominent keyboard keys seems inappropriate.

On the Nvidia Shield there is only one button (enter), and it should do
something useful that leads to other interactions, rather than set a
bookmark. Other remotes also have a prominent enter button, which should
be used for something more important.

I propose defaulting the new BOOKMARK setting to Ctrl+K (since K is
"jump to bookmark"). I would default Space to pause(which is how most
players work), and Enter to a new navigation OSD that I plan to develop.

Existing frontends would find that space enter and return would no
longer invoke bookmark. They could still assign those keys to bookmark
in the key mappings.

I expect that bookmarks are not widely used and that most people would
not be upset at this.

If necessary the code could apply different defaults for Android so as
to have less impact on existing users, but I think it is better if
possible to keep the different platforms working the same.

Please let me have feedback on this.

Peter