[mythtv] Android mediacodec woes

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 19:04:41 UTC 2018

On 06/27/2018 01:31 PM, faginbagin wrote:
> I would like to add one wrinkle/test case that you should check out once
> you've solved this particular problem. I have a number of DVD rips using
> handbrake where the original ntsc DVD was hard telecined. For this type
> of content I use handbrake's detelecine filter when transcoding. The
> resulting mkv containers claim a frame rate of 29.97 fps, but when
> playing back and watching mythfrontend's playback data, I see frame
> rates hovering around 24 fps. This also causes confusion with seeking
> and with displayed time advancing faster than actual time, sort of the
> inverse symptoms Peter sees with the double frame rate issue.
>
> I'd be happy to provide a sample rip demonstrating the problem.

I have noticed this behavior myself on existing code. I believe the
basic problem is that it uses frame number throughout to calculate
timings. This fails when the framerate is variable or the reported
framerate is incorrect. We should use timecodes and not frame numbers
for this. Unfortunately that is a lot of change, and will affect things
like commercial skip, editing, seek table as well as playback logic.

Peter