[mythtv] Feedback on Myth frontend on Nvidia Shield

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 16:06:39 UTC 2018

On 06/22/2018 03:04 PM, Michael wrote:
> On 06/20/2018 03:56 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

>>> Thanks for creating the ticket.   It was still on my TODO list.
>>>
>>> If you want any help playing with the hardware assist or testing any
>>> of the issues reported, just send me a link to a newer build and I
>>> will grab it.
>>>
>>> Hopefully the master branch doesn't update the API as I still run a
>>> 0.29 backend.
>>>

>>> Michael
>>>

>> Here is a new link if you want to try it. Select playback profile
>> "mediacodec normal" for the hardware acceleration preliminary code.
>> With mediacodec normal profile, there are currently problems with FF
>> and  REW. Jump forward and jump back are usable but a bit slow
>> sometimes. That is something I will work on. You can also continue
>> using an OpenGL profile with software decoding and avoid those issues.
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bvase15inqfcmf/mythfrontend-20180620-arm64-v30-Pre-663-g7758f60ba6e-dirty.apk?dl=0
>>

>> There are no api changes, it will work on 29 or 30.
>>
>> Peter
>

> THanks,
>

> I am running the new version with the mediacodec normal.   Seems to be
> working pretty well.   I do see the slowness when going forward and
> backwards as expected, but the video does look good.
>

> On the topic of the parental controls, things are working even worse
> in this version.   I am not sure if this is an android issue or if
> something else in changing in the development branch that could be
> impacting all versions.   Do you know of any development packages
> updated for Fedora or Debian that I could use to test to help narrow?

I can send you an ubuntu package, I am not sure if it will work for
debian. Some libraries change names with different versions.

> Myth has 4 levels of parental controls.   I have a password set for
> the top 2.   In the previous android version, I would get prompted for
> the password, but then I couldn't type it in from the keyboard.
> However, in this version, now it just ignore the password altogether
> and just takes you to that level.
>
> In general, it seems like all/any of the popup dialogue boxes that
> take input are not directly receiving keyboard input.   I can use the
> onscreen keyboard though to provide input.   What is weird is the I
> can use the tab key to get over to ok/cancel from the keyboard, but it
> just doesn't receive input.
>

> I didn't want to add to the ticket until I have more details.
>

> Michael
I tried hooking up a keyboard. In general it seems the numeric pad
numbers are not working, but the numbers across the top of the
alphabetic keys were working. Generally you should use the arrow keys
for navigation rather than the tab keys. Pressing enter should invoke
the OK button. This works for me.

Please can you walk me through the process of using the parental
controls so that I can try what you are doing. I have never used
parental controls. Are these for recordings, videos or both?

Peter