[mythtv] Pushed android mediacodec support

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Tue Jul 31 18:35:07 UTC 2018

On 07/30/2018 09:41 PM, David Engel wrote:

> Peter, was this in response to direct reply to you.  I never saw the
> original.
>
> Michael, I dug my old, first generation, Fire TV out of the closet.
> Much to my amazement, it actually works fairly well with MythTV.  The
> UI is responsive.  720p playback is downright good.  1080i playback is
> okay -- the deinterlacing is so so and there is some jitter that comes
> and goes when viewing a news ticker.  4k doesn't seem to work at all
> -- the device probably doesn't have enough RAM and can't output it
> anyway.
>
> All in all, the Fire Tv is a worhty competitor to the Amlogic S912
> system with 32-bit Android(*) that I occasionally test on.  In fact,
> there's a good chance it will replace the S912 as my default, 32-bit,
> test system.
>
> (*)The chip is actually 64-bit, but the only current ROM that I know
> of is a third-party one and is 32-bit.
>
> David

That is awesome to hear.   I retired my FireTV and old myth HTPC for an
Nvidia Shield which has been working great thanks to Peter.   It would
be nice to leverage the FireTV for the TV in the bedroom which doesn't
get watched as much.

As a user and not a developer, I think it is amazing how much progress
has been made on making android frontends viable in the last few
months.   For me, this is the most excitement I have had for mythtv in
many years and I have been running it for a few days shy of 15 years.

Would you have a 32bit apk available I could try on the FireTV?

Michael