[mythtv] 20180705 Android Observations

David Engel david at istwok.net
Fri Jul 6 02:54:37 UTC 2018

Peter,

Here are my initial observations using your 20180705 patch.

With my Mecool M8S Pro:
=======================

Amlogic S912 box running 32-bit Nougat.

Both 720p and 1080i played reasonably well.  Video was slightly
stuttery at 1x speed and much more noticeably at any higher speeds.
Skips were okay.  Fast forward and rewind were very sluggish causing
the actual speed to be well below the intended speed, but otherwise
worked.

All 3 jellyfish versions (250 mbps h.264, 250 mbps hevc and 400 mbps
hevc) played, but were stuttery and slower than normal speed.

With my Nvidia Shield:
======================

Running 64-bit Oreo.

720p played mostly great.  Video was smooth at 1x and very good at any
speed up to and including 2x.  Skips were very quick.  Fast forward
and rewind were very good except I had one case where playback timed
out and exited back to watch recordings during one extended rewind.

1080i played fairly well.  Video was slightly stuttery at 1x and more
noticeably at all faster speeds up to and including 2x.  Skips were a
little slower than hoped for but still okay.  The main problem with
skips was there was almost always a brief flicker of what looked to be
a misaligned frame.  Fast forward and rewind were very good except for
another playback timeout.  Strangely, fast forward and rewind did not
show the same flickering as with skips.

All versions of jellyfish played great when I started playback from a
bookmark.  All versions crashed and exited back to the Android home
screen when I started playback from the beginning.  That's a strange
one.

I'm going to go do some real TV watching with this version now and
will report any other problems I see.  Also, I'll be able to do some
more detailed testing and collect logs and whatnot this weekend.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net