[mythtv] Installing gdbserver on android

David Engel david at istwok.net
Sun Jul 1 02:02:04 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 04:48:30PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> searching the web I found a page that says the recommended method of getting
> files into your app data directory is via the temp directory
>
> > adb push data.db /data/tmp/data.db
> > adb shell
> # su # or run-as com.me.app
> # cp /data/tmp/data.db /data/data/com.me.app/databases/data.db
>
> On the shield, however, the temp directory is actually /data/local/tmp

127|darcy:/data/data/org.mythtv.mythfrontend $ ls /data/local/tmp
ls: /data/local/tmp: Permission denied

I get the same when not using run-as too.

> So something like this should work:
>
> > adb push
> /home/peter/android/android-ndk/prebuilt/android-arm64/gdbserver/gdbserver
> /data/local/tmp/gdbserver
> > adb shell
> # run-as org.mythtv.mythfrontend
> # cp /data/local/tmp/gdbserver /data/data/org.mythtv.mythfrontend/gdbserver
>
> This works on my shield with the android 7 version, hopefully it will also
> work with Oreo

They probably changed the directory for Oreo.

> The permissions of /data/local/tmp allow adb to write to it and other
> applications to login to it. Files that are pushed there get rwxrwxrwx
> permission so they can be copied using the mythfrontend user

The dd (or tar on stdin for multiple files) still looks to be the most
portable to me.

David
--
David Engel