[mythtv] Update recording file name from command line?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Dec 19 15:32:03 UTC 2018

On 12/19/2018 09:23 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:

> Maybe adding the ability to rename recorded file names to mythutil
> wouldn't be too hard to implement.

We had the ability to do so in the past. The problem with it is that
some characters cannot be used in some locale settings and/or with some
file systems and some file systems have different
requirements/limitations for file name length and ...  Therefore, the
user changes a file name and it seems to work now, then later something
on the system changes (locale settings, file system, ...) and then the
file gets a broken name and "MythTV is broken".  Or the user changes the
file name in the shell/script/... that's running in one locale and "it
works" but has MythTV running in another locale and it can't find the
file so "MythTV is broken."

We decided to support only the built-in file name structure for
recordings since it uses only characters that are supported in all
locales and on all (known, reasonable-for-use-with-MythTV) file
systems.  Ideally, rather than trying to encode information about the
recording into a file name/extension (a la Win 3.x/DOS), we would
support writing of the information into in-file video metadata.

Mike