[mythtv] Mediacodec problem with fire stick 4K

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 09:34:05 UTC 2018

On 07/12/2018 00:40, Aman Gupta wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:52 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com
> <mailto:pb.mythtv at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 12/6/18 1:01 PM, Aman Gupta wrote:
>>
>>     On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 4:01 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:pb.mythtv at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>         On 12/5/18 6:13 PM, Aman Gupta wrote:
>>         > I've gotten reports that this freeze issue also happens with
>>         h264
>>         > MediaCodec decoding on the 4K Stick, which further suggests
>>         this is an
>>         > issue with ffmpeg's mediacodec wrapper.
>>         >
>>         I have been running mediacodec playing h264 video on a fire
>>         stick 4K for
>>         a few hours each day for a couple of weeks and I have not seen
>>         any freeze.
>>

>>     Good to know. It's possible the h264 freezes are happening only in
>>     the UK with interlaced h264.
>>
>>     Are you experiencing freezes on mpeg2 decoding right away or
>>     several minutes after playback begins?
>>
>>     Aman
>>

>     mpeg2 decoding freezes immediately I start playing. I may see one or
>     two frames, but no more than that.
>

> Interesting, in my testing it decodes fine for 20-40minutes before
> locking up. However I am using Surface-based (zero-copy) rendering.
>

>     Peter

I just retried my first (two weeks ago) tests of VLC with full
acceleration on a recording from BBC FOUR remuxed to a DVD-like mpg.  As
before, playback was good for several minutes; then the video hung and
the sound played on.

Now mythfrontend is working well for me in the UK with the settings
recommended in the wiki and DVB-T/T2 material.  I haven't recently tried
other settings.

John P