[mythtv] NVidia Shield and 4K video

Mark Spieth mark at digivation.com.au
Thu Aug 9 23:59:05 UTC 2018

On 10/08/18 08:23, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 08/09/2018 05:11 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 6:44 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> That's an interesting idea. MythTV is definitely an older application
>>> :). I really don't know whether that affects how the screen support
>>> works. Perhaps Mark would know.
>> As I recall (from a few years ago when the entire first
>> 4K devices started to show up and everyone wanted
>> to use them in Android) the only way to reliably detect
>> UHD was using Display.Mode with API level 23+ and
>> the getPhysicalWidth method.  And then you have
>> to render using SurfaceView surfaces.  Whether your Qt
>> version (and everything else) is compiled to that API
>> level or greater I have no idea (as I have not really been
>> following the discussion), and I also have no idea if
>> the various libraries and rendering solutions will use
>> those capabilities.
>>
>> Good luck.
> We are using api level 21. I found that we do get the real physical
> screen dimensions with the GetPhysicalWidth and GetPhysicalHeight, but
> trying to use those values as the size of the GUI results in a hugely
> enlarged view of the top left hand side of the GUI. We are not using
> surfaces at this time, we are using OpenGL. I don't know if OpenGL
> uses a surface under the covers.

API Levels refer to the SDK, not the NDK.
But it may be useful to try a higher API version. I suspect it wont
actually do much.
I dont think Qt for android is plumbed to support 4k yet and we just
have to find the idiosyncrasies.
As for how GL is used/implemented, as well as whether surface uses the
GPU(s), IDK.

I think we have just missed something in the qt startup which happens
before mythfrontend main runs.

Im hoping 5.11.1 has some answers. Should know more after the weekend.

Mark