[mythtv] NVidia Shield and 4K video

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 22:23:39 UTC 2018

On 08/09/2018 05:11 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 6:44 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That's an interesting idea. MythTV is definitely an older application
>> :). I really don't know whether that affects how the screen support
>> works. Perhaps Mark would know.
> As I recall (from a few years ago when the entire first
> 4K devices started to show up and everyone wanted
> to use them in Android) the only way to reliably detect
> UHD was using Display.Mode with API level 23+ and
> the getPhysicalWidth method.  And then you have
> to render using SurfaceView surfaces.  Whether your Qt
> version (and everything else) is compiled to that API
> level or greater I have no idea (as I have not really been
> following the discussion), and I also have no idea if
> the various libraries and rendering solutions will use
> those capabilities.
>
> Good luck.
We are using api level 21. I found that we do get the real physical
screen dimensions with the GetPhysicalWidth and GetPhysicalHeight, but
trying to use those values as the size of the GUI results in a hugely
enlarged view of the top left hand side of the GUI. We are not using
surfaces at this time, we are using OpenGL. I don't know if OpenGL uses
a surface under the covers.

Peter