[mythtv] Updates to mythtv/external and required system libraries

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 17:18:19 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 1:51 PM Silicondust/HDHomeRun
<mythtv at silicondust.com> wrote:

> If someone with experience in maintaining libs can point me in the right
> direction, I am happy to make changes to help with
> versioning/compatibility.

I'll also point out(*) that issue #4 in your github repo
provided a viable way forward such that
packagers did not have to ship and maintain two
libraries on a system (one for any old apps named
(say) libhdhomerun, and one for any new apps
named (say) libhdhomerun2)(**), at the cost of some
likely minor (at that time) code changes on your
internal uses by using the new features when
desired, and leaving the old API the same.  Now
that more of your code likely depends on the functions
it is likely the work (which I am guessing would now
be a larger distraction at this point of your projects)
makes it less viable.  So one know pushes the load
to every distro packager.

(*) I am pointing it out here again since there
was zero response on the issue itself.  Neither
comment, nor acceptance, nor rejection.  And
yes, I was a bit unhappy of the lack of response
those 2+ years ago, but I also accepted that it
was your right to ignore the future problems.

(**) And on many community distributions,
the packagers are not coders, so would
not be typically able to review future commits
to know if they even should be back-ported to
the old(er) variant for important functional or
security reasons.