[mythtv] Updates to mythtv/external and required system libraries

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Mon Aug 6 06:41:49 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 02:57 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> Be aware, that as the libhdhomerun issue
> https://github.com/Silicondust/libhdhomerun/issues/4
> points out (which SiliconDust had decided to not address), the
> various releases of libhdhomerun are most specifically *NOT*
> compatible, and can result in overflow of buffers or not properly
> processing the contents of the structs because they use the
> same library versions for different results (the struct changed
> sizes).  I considered this lack of versioning a mistake

If I understand correctly and you are saying that upstream are changing
interfaces (structs, function arguments etc) without bumping the SONAME
in an appropriate way then indeed that is a mistake.

If upstream are unwilling/unable to manage the SONAME properly then, at
least in the Debian/Ubuntu ecosystem, it falls to the package
maintainer to do so and bugs should be reported if they miss something.
I'd bet (but don't know) that the same is true in the Fedora ecosystem.

> Of course, if you compile and run on the exact same system
> every time any libraries are updated, there should be no
> problem, but since there are few ways to provide those
> guarantees, some issues may result.

As far as Bill's problem goes if he is both building and running on
Ubuntu 14.04 that ought to be sufficient -- that's a self contained set
of dev and runtime packages.

Ian.