[mythtv] NVidia Shield screen resolution

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:00:53 UTC 2018

On 08/02/2018 06:26 PM, Mark Spieth wrote:
> On 8/3/2018 2:50 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>

>> On 08/01/2018 07:47 PM, Mark Spieth wrote:
>>> Another thing to try
>>>
>>> in qt src
>>> qtbase/src/android/jar/src/org/qtproject/qt5/android
>>> change all getMetrics calls to getRealMetrics in the java files.
>>>
>>> It may be possible to copy these to android-package-source tree but
>>> not sure as they are in the jar directory not the java directory.
>>> Should work though and then we can modify them as required without
>>> patching qt. It would mean a diff/merge on updating qt though just
>>> in case these change.
>>>
>>> The optimal change is to check for PAI or try except get realmetrics
>>> and then use getmetrics as a fallback. However since the APIs we are
>>> targeting, this is probably not necessary as getRealMetrics should
>>> be available always.
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>> Hi Mark
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestions. I still have no success.
>>
>> getRealMetrics returns the exact same faulty result as getMetrics.
>>
>> I found I can get the actual values from
>> android.view.Display.Mode.getPhysicalWidth and getPhysicalHeight.
>> Those return the real pixel size.
>>
>> I changed the call to QtNative.setApplicationDisplayMetrics to use
>> those real pixel sizes instead of the ones from getMetrics.
>>
>> Everything looks fine in the log messages:
>>
>> androidjnimain.cpp setDisplayMetrics wP=3840 hP=2160 dWP=3840
>> dHP=2160 xdpi=213.000000 ydpi=213.000000 sD=2.000000 d=2.000000
>> qandroidplatformintegration.cpp setDefaultDisplayMetrics gw=3840
>> gh=2160 sw=458 sh=258 scrW=3840 scrH=2160
>> androidjnimain.cpp createSurface x=0 y=0 w=100 h=30
>> androidjnimain.cpp setSurfaceGeometry x=0 y=0 w=3840 h=2160
>>
>> HOWEVER, on the screen is now a hugely enlarged version of the top
>> left hand corner of the MythTV GUI. MythTV is drawing it to the
>> correct 4K size but QT and android have taken the picture and scaled
>> it to twice the size.
>>
>> The Android documentation of
>> android.view.Display.Mode.getPhysicalWidth states
>>
>> /Note that due to application UI scaling, the number of pixels made
>> available to applications when the mode is active (as reported by
>> Display.getHeight() may differ from the mode's actual resolution (as
>> reported by this function).//
>> //
>> //For example, applications running on a 4K display may have their UI
>> laid out and rendered in 1080p and then scaled up. Applications can
>> take advantage of the extra resolution by rendering content through a
>> SurfaceView using full size buffers.//
>> /
>> It seems to me that this is what we are doing, without success.
> Some more ideas...
>
> 1. In AndroidManifest.xml set android.app.auto_screen_scale_factor to true
>
> 2. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42898179/android-ui-scale
> set scale factor using the getPhysicalWidth or perhaps
> getDisplayMetrics(). May work.
> [...]
I tried QApplication::setAttribute(Qt::AA_DisableHighDpiScaling); (made
no diffference)

Also tried SurfaceHolder.setFixedSize() as suggested somewhere. Tried it
with different values. This produced bizarre results which made no sense

Also tried surface.setScaleX(); and surface.setScaleY(); Tried with
different values. More bizarre results.

Both setScale and setFixedSize are maintaining the doubling of the
pixels on the screen, and changing the size of my image within that
doubled setup.

Peter