[mythtv] Q regarding "GUI: Enhance Playback to allow change of recording group with arrow keys"

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 16:27:46 UTC 2018

On 04/17/2018 11:28 AM, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Really nice work with „GUI: Enhance Playback to allow change of recording group with arrow keys"!
>
> Is it possible to extend this with small additional functionality:
>
> Kodi has nice feature for browsing list of recordings:  when user is on title with multiple episodes, right arrow on such title displays list of all episodes of this title.
> This behavior is like virtually browsing directories tree where dir is title and within dir we have episodes.
> This is IMHO very nice feature.
>
> myth has already option to show all episodes of given title so implementing such functionality is just discover in PBB that selection is on title with multiple episodes and call „list recorded episodes” when right arrow is pressed.
> When title hasn’t episodes - right arrow can show pop-up menu like today with Your enhancement.
>
> IMHO such way of browsing with Your recent playback enhancement will make almost perfect solution!
>
> What you think?

Hi Piotr

I think you already mentioned this before. I am not sure how this would
work.

When I watch recordings I always select the program on the left and then
see the episodes on the right. In that case, all the episodes for the
program are already displayed.

Your change only makes sense if I have selected "All recordings" or
"Watch List" on the left. In that case do you propose it should change
the display to select that program on the left instead of "All
Recordings", as if I had gone to left arrow and selected the program
name there? They may lose their place in the original "all recordings"
list. Also apart from switching the list to the selected program it
would have to make sure the same episode is still selected.

A program may have episodes in other recording groups. They would not
display in this case.

What should it do if I already selected a program name on the left and I
press right arrow? I suppose it would do the same, which would not
change the list.

The right arrow pop up menu is not my enhancement, It is a change in the
theme to use the "triggerevent" that causes the Menu to come up on right
arrow. The MythCenter themes and most other themes have had this for a
long time. Steppes only added this recently. If you want something
different to happen we may have to persuade theme developers to change,
or maybe we override the action in the theme.

Having the right arrow do different things depending on whether there
are multiple episodes is not a good user experience. If the use is
expecting episodes and gets a menu or vice versa it will be irritating
for them.

Peter