[mythtv] MythTV and FFmpeg configure

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 14:21:26 UTC 2018

The process of syncing new versions of FFmpeg into MythTV is very
cumbersome:

1. Take a new FFmpeg branch and apply all of our customizations to it

2. Take the configure script from the new FFmpeg branch and apply all
changes since the last FFmpeg sync to our MythTV configure.

Step 2 takes most of the time and is anything but straightforward.

I am working on updating MythTV configure to eliminate step 2 and make
the MythTV configure invoke the FFmpeg configure as part of its run. I
have that working and I am testing it on different configurations. I
have not yet removed all of the excess FFmpeg code from MythTV
configure. Once I am ready I will test it in the devel/ffmpeg-resync
branch to make sure that build slaves work with the new configure.

Peter