[mythtv] Stuttering on live tv

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 6 05:52:29 UTC 2018

On 6 April 2018 8:04:43 am John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

On 05/04/18 22:39, Dennis Gustafson wrote:
Hi,

I recently upgraded from a very old version of mythtv ( both OS and
mythtv ) and now have a stutter only on play back of live tv.

When I play live tv, the playback is not smooth until I pause and then
un-pause the video.   From what I can tell the buffer is at 0% when this
happens, until I pause the frontend.  Thus allowing the backend to get
ahead of the playback.

As a test, I have added a 2s delay before the frontend starts play back
which completely resolves the issue (buffer at ~10%+).  I hooked it in
to the disable screensaver code (screensaver-x11.cpp),   I'm looking for
a "better" place to put the delay, as it only needs to be delayed on the
playback of livetv and not every time the screensaver is disabled.

Is there any setting I am missing that would eliminate the need to do
this?  Maybe a hidden tune-able somewhere?   If not, any suggestions on
the best place to insert a delay when starting just live TV?

Thanks,
Dennis

This was a lons-standing issue that was thought to be fixed here

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12318