[mythtv] Stuttering on live tv

Dennis Gustafson deg at outlook.com
Thu Apr 5 21:39:46 UTC 2018

Hi,

I recently upgraded from a very old version of mythtv ( both OS and
mythtv ) and now have a stutter only on play back of live tv.

When I play live tv, the playback is not smooth until I pause and then
un-pause the video.   From what I can tell the buffer is at 0% when this
happens, until I pause the frontend.  Thus allowing the backend to get
ahead of the playback.

As a test, I have added a 2s delay before the frontend starts play back
which completely resolves the issue (buffer at ~10%+).  I hooked it in
to the disable screensaver code (screensaver-x11.cpp),   I'm looking for
a "better" place to put the delay, as it only needs to be delayed on the
playback of livetv and not every time the screensaver is disabled.

Is there any setting I am missing that would eliminate the need to do
this?  Maybe a hidden tune-able somewhere?   If not, any suggestions on
the best place to insert a delay when starting just live TV?

Thanks,
Dennis