[mythtv] Q regarding Media Monitor

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 26 21:49:34 UTC 2017

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 21:11:04 +0200
Piotr Oniszczuk <piotr.oniszczuk at gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW:
> I have however another Q to You:
>
> At some point in time Roger Siddons removed nice media handler code
> because this code wasn’t yet ported to mythUI:
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/24c5575980e5342e50d1354b7c11e6272463e93f#diff-6455586819fe2c795a07e3b2529def3b
>
> I think ability to handle selection in CDs with mixed content
> (pictures/audio/videos) is nice (I’m using some of such CDs and
> Minimyth2 has this commit reverted). Old code allows user to select
> what content user wants to play when mixed CD is inserted (music or
> pictures, etc)
>
> Is it possible to revert this commit + add those simple mythUI
> dialogs which were missed by Roger?
>
> br

To be clear, it was a contribution I suggested be committed because I
thought it useful and later reverted when it caused issues for some.

I think the 'port UI' bits are simple.

IIRC the bigger problem is Media Monitor's handling of multiple
devices. It's a bit of a mess when you start digging into it.
There's also a lot of old, platform-specific cruft that would be nice
to remove.

I wasn't aware that Media Monitor works at all at present, as it's not
compatible with udisks2. The last time I had to use it I had to install
udisks and that is no longer available in Ubuntu reps.
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12307

Maybe https://github.com/cmdrkotori/udisks2 is a starting point for
anyone interested.

Regarding the original patch, IIRC it invoked a pop-up at startup if
any USB stick containing an image (for example, a Rescue Disk or ISO)
was detected. If it could be disabled then the other issues might be
bearable.