[mythtv] Smolt down ?

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Fri Oct 20 10:48:39 UTC 2017

On 20/10/17 00:36, Peter Bennett wrote:
> Hi Stuart
>
> I have an extremely slow shut down of mythfrontend and I was blaming the
> new purge of cache for it, but I think it is smolt causing the problem.
>
> This takes 120 seconds to fail:
>
> /usr/share/mythtv/hardwareprofile/sendProfile.py --submitOnly -a
> Processing MythTV Data
> Error contacting Server: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - "The requested URL
> returned error: 504 Gateway Time-out"
> Could not send - Exiting
>
> Also trying to browse http://smolt.mythtv.org gives no response
>
> On exiting mythfrontend I see a long wait with the frontend stuck on the
> "are you sure you want to exit" message, before this comes into the log
> 2017-10-19 16:56:19.077251 I  HouseKeeperTask 'HardwareProfiler' Failed.
> Then shutdown completes
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

Yep it crapped out again. several times a week at the moment.
Thanks to Thomas for restarting it.

We should make the frontend more resilient to this.

Some ideas:
- Frontend should have a lower timeout
- Maybe tweak the nginx gateway timeout to the smolt backend
- I thought uploading the hardware profile was an async task.
tbh, if it doesn't already it should, start it's own thread
to gather that info, queue it for upload, and upload if / when
smolt is available.

I do have some future plans to rewrite the smolt backend, and
add further useful bits of information then.

fyi i'll be offline until tuesday after about 5pm uk time so
when it wedges again, thomas will need to fix it.

I'll look at adding an irc notification.

Regards
Stuart