[mythtv] Upgrade to nVidia gt1030 - gracefully handle failing non-VDPAU modes?

kingsley.turner kingsley.turner at bluewin.ch
Fri Oct 13 01:48:12 UTC 2017

Hi,

I upgraded to a new video card the other day, a nVidia gt1030 fanless
(replacing a gt730 fanless).
I bought the MSI version of this card with Display Port and HDMI, but I'm
using HDMI.
I upgraded in preparation for purchasing a new TV, where even lower-end Aldi
models are all 4k.

With the latest nVidia driver, everything is mostly working.
However on some HEVC/x265 videos that *used* to play with the old card and
driver, now mythfrontend (0.28)
pauses for a couple of seconds, then drops back with an error message
"Unable to Initialise A/V sync".

This is (I think) a problem because the nVidia VDPAU doesn't work with this
type of video encoding on this model card.

Is there a way I can configure mythfrontend to fallback to software decoding
or suchlike?

Is Myth 0.29 (with updated ffmpeg) going to help solve this?  I read the
change-log, but it didn't cover this topic.

thanks,
-kt